Vegan Recipes: Black Bean Burgers with Sweet Potato
Here’s a delicious vegan “burger” recipes for you!
If I’m perfectly honest, there’s nothing I love better than a good juicy burger (yes, I do mean beef burger!) However, I really enjoy a delicious veggie burger too. This vegan|vegetarian recipe combines sweet potato and black beans with a touch of Mexican seasoning.
The original recipe came from a website called Happy Healthy Mama, but some of the ingredients were not to my liking. So, the recipe you see below is adapted to suit my family and their tastes.
Additionally, I opted to use an egg the first time I made this because we are not practicing vegans. Plus, I didn’t have flaxseed in the house. Every other time I’ve made these yummy burgers I did use the flaxseed because I love the nutty flavor it adds.
A note about flaxseed
I personally think it’s best to purchase whole flaxseed. I store them in my refrigerator to keep them fresh. When it’s time to use them, measure out 1 tablespoon of flaxseeds for every egg that you need to replace. Then, pulverize it in a blender or coffee grinder. Transfer the flaxseeds to a bowl and add three tablespoons of water to each tablespoon of seed.
Gather your ingredients and get cooking! Go ahead… you know you want to try it!
SWEET POTATO BLACK BEAN BURGERS (Vegetarian Recipe)
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- one 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup white, red or black quinoa, cooked
- 1 cup sweet potato (I roast 1 or 2 in my oven for a deeper flavor)
- 1/3 cup loosely packed fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 glove garlic, pressed
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- olive oil for frying
- 6 of your favorite burger roll
- Optional toppings: Fresh tomato, guacamole, onion, lettuce
- Whisk the flaxseed with 3 tablespoons of water until the mixture takes on a gel-like quality.
- Next, place the 3/4 of the black beans into the bowl and smash the beans. You can use the back of a spoon or a potato masher.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, including the remaining black beans. Mix well.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Use just enough to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Form the mixture into 6 equal balls.
- When the skillet is hot enough to sizzle, add them to the pan and flatten them with the back of a spoon to make a nice size patties.
- Cook until a crispy exterior is formed, flip carefully and cook until second side is crispy as well. It should take about 5-6 minutes per side.
- Serve on your favorite roll, add optional toppings and enjoy!
If you want to see the original recipe this one was adapted from, please visit Happy Healthy Mama. You won’t regret it, because they have other yummy recipes I know you will want to try!
Want to try another vegan recipe that’s perfect to keep in your fridge for lunches or as a snack? See our Chickpea Sandwich Spread.